ALTERG® ANTI-GRAVITY TREADMILL @ THE INJURY CLINIC
The Injury Clinic has an The AlterG® Treadmill, and over the last few months, we’ve been asked a lot about its use…
What is it?
Can I use it?
Should I use it?
Will it help?
What’s it feel like?
So, we thought it best to share the answers…
WHAT IS IT?
It’s a treadmill that uses air pressure to reduce your body weight. This allows you to run in an environment with reduced body weight and therefore reduced load.
CAN I USE IT?
You sure can! The AlterG Treadmill is available for use by clients, and by those referred from other health practitioners (podiatrists, sports doctors etc.) or running coaches.
All you need to do is call the clinic and express your interest in use of the AlterG. Initially you will be booked in for a consult with a physiotherapist, this consult is to discuss goals, intended use and to instruct you on how to use the treadmill.
From there, you can book your times and use the treadmill as you please.
It should also be noted that with recent changes to the use of the gym at the clinic, unlimited access to the AlterG is included in The Injury Clinic Gym Memberships.
SHOULD I USE IT?
Possibly!! The appropriateness of running on the AlterG as part of injury management or training depends on the individual.
The AlterG has been part of the injury management or training program for the following situations (…to name just a few!):
- Return to run post ACL Reconstruction
- Return to run post Knee Arthroscopy and Meniscectomy
- Additional mileage in the legs of an Ultra Runner
- Maintenance of mileage leading into an IM event whilst managing an injured leg
- Maintenance of mileage leading into a Marathon event whilst managing an injured leg
- Return to running post foot/ankle stress fracture
- Assisting in the mental well-being of many injured runners by allowing: a continuation of running when overground running needed to stop; an earlier return to running; an ability to run when overground running is not achievable
There is evidence for the use of the AlterG Treadmill in a range of injuries, including (but not limited to):
- Achilles Tendinopathy
- Patellofemoral Pain
- Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome
- Plantar Pain & Fasciopathy
- Heel Pain
- Exertional Compartment Syndrome
- Lateral Knee & ITB Pain
- Metatarsal Stress Reaction
- Hip & Pelvic Stress Reaction
- Post Surgery: Knee; Hip; Lumbar Spine; Foot; Ankle
WILL IT HELP?
We hope so! The AlterG Treadmill allows for progressive loading of injured tissue whilst maintaining running. Essentially, the load through injured tissues can be reduced to still allow healing whilst some running volume is maintained. This limits de-conditioning through unaffected tissues and assists with maintaining cardiovascular fitness.
When used in the un-injured population, the reduction in body weight reduces metabolic stress (as well as load through tissues. This allows for running volume to be maintained whilst reducing both tissue load and metabolic stress. It is useful in recovery weeks, and in improving performance with the ability to overspeed train.
WHAT’S IT FEEL LIKE?
Come in and find out!!
DO YOU THINK THE ALTER-G MIGHT HELP YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW? WHAT TO DO NEXT…
You are required to consult with a Physiotherapist at The Injury Clinic prior to use of the AlterG. This will allow appropriate design and progression of sessions to assist you in achieving your goals.
You will be running on the AlterG during this session. Once a plan has been discussed, you can book your sessions in and you’re up and running!
CALL THE CLINIC ON (03) 5229 3911